You sir, are no Eric.



There’s this guy at the agency I used to work at named Eric. Awesome guy. I love Eric. Everyone loves Eric. He’s just one of those people who it’s literally impossible to not like.

If you met Eric, you’d like him too. Because you have met Eric. Their name might have been Kevin, Omar or Debbie. But they were an Eric. There’s always an Eric. At work. In your class. On your softball team. At the bar you like to hang out at. Wherever. They are always there. And they’re always amazing.

They make you and everyone else feel good. They’re cool and they’re smart and they’re funny and talented. They tell the best stories. Know funny jokes. Are always up for a laugh or a good talk. I love Eric’s. I’ve always wanted to be an Eric. But I am not an Eric. I have never been an Eric.

The closest I've gotten is sometimes I’ve been able to start off as an Eric. But after a little while I always blow it by saying something I shouldn’t or being a jerk to someone because they pissed me off and my Eric status is revoked. Even when the real Eric gets pissed off he’s not a jerk about it. He figures out a way to deal with it and still be Eric. Which is just another amazing talent that Eric’s have and that I hugely admire.

I think I’m too reactive to be an Eric. I’m a blurter. I blurt. And blurting is risky business. Very rarely does a blurt have universal appeal. Blurts by nature are polarizing. Which is what I think I am. I’m polarizing. I think some people like me a lot and some people don’t like me. A lot. Which is okay. It’s something I can work on. Or, if I’m not successful working on it then I’ll still have those people who like me a lot. And that’s really great. I’m grateful as hell for those people who can deal with my bullshit and still say hi to me. God bless all of you.

And to the people on the other side of the fence, maybe someday you’ll come back over. Maybe it was just a misunderstanding. Maybe what I said came off wrong. That happens to me a lot. I’m much better on a word doc than I am live. I’m like a band that’s better in the studio.

Eric’s are awesome. And Jeff’s are good too. They’re just not for everyone and that’s not a bad thing. It’s just a thing. And I think I’m finally starting to figure it out. It’s just part of the journey. And you just gotta keep on that journey and if you get in a jam, hopefully an Eric will be there to cheer you up.


jeffeakercopywriter.com


Comments

  1. I just love the vulnerability. I think that’s your gift. I really do.

    Bravo.

    This could be sent to Toby @ Lafayette. Maybe ever so slightly tweaked to lean into Lafayette.

    This could be sent to Fact & Fiction in Boulder as an introduction.

    This is the stuff that makes a stranger who love writing intrigue.

    Bravo.

    Also great blogage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cameron. There's nothing a good writer likes more than getting a nod from a great one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What’s the ad agency of the future? It’s the Beatles.

Get off my lawn. Ageism in advertising. A giant pain in my ass.

Winning Worst.